Abercairny Castle

Abercairny Castle Details

Abercairny House or Castle, occupied C20 mansion of the Murrays built near site of earlier buildings, available as a venue

  • Closest To: Crieff, Muthill, Fowlis Wester
  • Access: Occasional Access
  • Grid Reference: NN912224

Abercairny Castle was a 19th century castellated mansion which replaced earlier structures on site, the earliest of which on record was a modest tower house of the 16th century. This may have incorporated an earlier building, but it’s likely that up until the mid 15th century what was here was an undefended manorial centre of some description.

In theĀ  late 18th century plans were made to build a new house, but these weren’t realised, and the earlier repairs and extensions were kept until the early 19th century, when it was demolished, and a new mansion was started in 1804. This house was added to until about 1870, and was eventually demolished in 1960, to be replaced by a much smaller building.

The photograph is by Andy Sweet and he retains the copyright. This photograph may be seen – along with other images and his detailed notes on the history – here at his stravaiging.com website.

HES Canmore database entry